[Wikimedia-l] 'Internet Defense' collabs

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:12:15 UTC 2012

Fight For the Future, along with some of the other orgs that helped
coordinate SOPA protests, are working to coordinate alerts about
future threats to internet freedom.  They hope to provide brief
pointers about what's at stake to everyone interested, once major
problems are identified.

Right now their work seem to focus on issues affecting the Internet in
the US; and it's not clear to me yet who define what threatens 'net
freedom.  But in principle this is an important thing for the Internet
to have, covering every jurisdiction.

Has anyone been working on projects like this around the world?  This
seems like something wikimedians could support in a less in-your-face
way than by blacking out wikipedia language projects, once problematic
issues become crises.  At the very least, by offering a place to
summarize neutral information about the issues [and tackling the
related style and context issues; which we already do], and by helping
to make the conversation a global one.

SJ