[Wikimedia-l] [Foundation-l] Pre-wikis vs. maturing Wikipedia: taking away dedicated editors?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:27:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
> On the other hand, if we let this go for railways, then next we will have
> the fantasy, computer games, and anime fans at our doors, asking to
> recognize fanfic and such as sources, and I am afraid this may be like
> opening the Pandora box.

I do not see how anime fanfics is possibly analogous to railroad fans
reporting the results of their investigation in non-academic form.
There is no analogy: the point of fanfics is that they *aren't canon
and are made up by fans*.

The truer analogy would be "then next we will have anime fans asking
that their translations of official Japanese materials be usable or
their records of convention Q&A panels admitted as sources". And I
don't think that would be a bad thing at all...

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net