[Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong

Katie Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Fri May 11 00:23:58 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 00:14, Tom Morris wrote:

> In the bidding process, there rightly are some minimum standards,
 > specifically with regards to freedom of speech laws and whether or not
 > the cities in question are welcoming to religious and LGBT minorities.
 > If we wish to include anti-censorship as one of those requirements,
 > it'd be worth knowing that up-front so Wikimedians who wish to bid in the
 > future can take that into account rather than have it brought up after
 > the bidding process is complete.

If the community want to include anti-censorship (and or numerous other
possible complaints) as one of the requirements, then good luck finding
any city in the world to host Wikimania.

On 11/05/2012 00:07, Richard Symonds wrote:
 > I must admit I had concerns, but they're allayed considerably by the
 > statement that HK is fiscally independent from the PRC. Hopefully
 > having such a free event in an area of the world where freedom of
 > information is in relatively short supply will do wonderful things
 > for the movement and the world!

Or one can just read [[Special administrative region]] (among other
related articles) and see "Currently, the two SARs of Hong Kong and
Macau are responsible for all issues except diplomatic relations and
national defence."

If people have a problem with one of the most multi-ethnic,
multicultural & number 1 ranked index of economic freedom place in the
world with constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech and press, then
I give up.........

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine