[Wikimedia-l] Fellowship

Siko Bouterse sbouterse at wikimedia.org
Thu May 10 20:49:49 UTC 2012

Thanks for bringing these questions and answers to this list, Florence and
Theo!  Fellowships are definitely their own role category at WMF as for
other organizations, and the nuances aren't very clear-cut, so its always
good to see how others view things.

Theo, I'm glad to hear you think the roles are becoming more clearly
fleshed out - thats really nice feedback, thank you!  The program pages on
meta are still a work in progress, and I'm hoping to do another run on them
this summer.  As the program evolves, we're learning which fellowships are
good models to build on and which ones might be done differently next time.
 For this reason, I'm always trying to update my thinking and will point to
the most recent fellowships as probably the best examples of what WMF
fellowships are today.

As I see it, there are 2 angles to consider in discussing fellowships:  the
spirit or intent, and the paperwork.

The spirit of a WMF fellowship is a bit different from both traditional
staff roles and contractor roles.  Fellowship work is based around a
project and generally a fellow focuses on completing 1 or occasionally a
few projects during their fellowship period.  Projects are scoped to be
completed in 12 months or less and designed to be largely worked on
independently and led by fellows themselves, with some support from myself
and other WMF people as needed.  Some fellows work in teams to complete a
project, some work by themselves.  Fellows do technically report to someone
at WMF - usually that's me, but I'd characterize my management style as
something along the lines of "lets talk about where you want to go and what
help you might need in order to get there."  Fellows bring some expertise
with them related to their project, and are also expected to learn
something and professionally develop over the course of their project.

Example:  Peter Coombe's fellowship, which began this month, is a 6 month
fellowship to pilot a data-driven method for redesigning Help pages on
EN:WP.  Peter is a long-time editor of EN:WP so he brings his community
expertise as well as his experience writing explanatory documentation from
other past work.  He's keen to learn more about usability testing and
develop his skills in this area, so that will be where the professional
development aspect comes in for this fellowship.

This is different from a staff role where someone is hired to work more
generally in an area or department where they might contribute to many
different projects going on at the same time and where there isn't a
defined end date for their role.  I see this as also different from a
traditional contractor model, where the organization defines the set of
tasks that need to be completed, finds someone who is an expert in those
tasks, and contracts with them to complete these tasks.  In the
fee-for-service contractor model there isn't really a sense of professional
development, and there isn't much organizational support or mentorship
built into the model.

There are indeed Research Fellowships and Community Fellowships, but the
distinction between these 2 titles now is mostly in the project focus and
fellow's background.  Community Fellowships are intended for members of the
Wikimedia Community, and they generally work on projects that will have
some direct impact on the community (again, Peter's fellowship).  Research
Fellowships are titles used for fellows who work on research projects - for
example, in last summer's Wikimedia Summer of Research we engaged a group
of Research Fellows.  Some of these research fellows were also active
members of the community though, and some of their work does also have
direct impact on the community (Research Fellow Jonathan Morgan is working
on the Teahouse project with Community Fellow Sarah Stierch, for example),
so these distinctions aren't always very neat and tidy.

We try to bring fellows to visit WMF in person at least once during their
fellowship.  Some relocate to work from the San Francisco office, some do
not, and this is mostly decided based on the needs of the project and what
other commitments the fellow has (school, family, etc).

The way the paperwork is structured for each fellowship is done case by
case, though, and this is what I think starts to be confusing when we're
trying to put fellows in any particular bucket of contractor or staff.  The
US has very specific regulations for engaging people that WMF must follow,
and so while the intent of all fellowships in the program should be the
same regardless of the paperwork, fellows come from many different
countries and work on many different kinds of projects.  Duration and
location varies, so the type of contract or any benefits or liability
varies from case to case, and is determined by what the law says based on
all of these factors.  I'm thankful that legal liability issues haven't
come up yet, hoping they never will, and figure that if they do our legal
team will take it on a case by case basis as well.

Sorry for the long email - and now I guess you see why the program pages
are still kind of confusing too :-)  Let me know if this sparks other
questions or feedback!

Thanks,
Siko

--