[Wikimedia-l] No internet censorship in Hong Kong

Deryck Chan deryckchan at wikimedia.hk
Thu May 10 20:39:45 UTC 2012

Dear all,

It has come to the attention of the Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong organizing
team that there may be confusion over the situation of internet censorship
in China and whether it affects Hong Kong. [1]

We would like to clarify that, although Hong Kong has been nominally part
of the People's Republic of China since 1997, the city-state of Hong Kong
retains complete independence over civilian affairs. This, of course, means
that internet regulation in Hong Kong is completely separate from that of
Mainland China, and therefore internet censorship in Mainland China (the
"Great Firewall of China", [2]) does not apply to Hong Kong.

We would like to reassure all Wikimedians, especially those considering to
attend Wikimania 2013, that *Wikipedia has never been censored in Hong Kong*.
Visitors to Hong Kong will enjoy, among other things such as exuberant
local cuisine and efficient public transport, uncensored internet
connection and unhindered access to Wikimedia projects.

We hope to see you all at Wikimania 2012 in Washington DC and Wikimania
2013 in Hong Kong.

With best wishes,
Deryck Chan
Global engagement coordinator
Wikimania 2013 organizing team / Wikimedia Hong Kong

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-05-07/News_and_notes
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

(cross-posted to wikimania-l, internal-l and wikimedia-l)