[Wikimedia-l] Updated Terms of Use

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Fri May 4 03:48:30 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I don't believe the Terms are meant to expressly adopt all foreign laws
outside the United States. The community discussed the phrase "applicable
law" a few times during the drafting process. The Terms of Use only
expressly call out the United States as applicable law in the Overview
section and section 1(b). There is no express adoption of another foreign
law by name: the Terms of Use only use the word "may" for laws other than
the United States, simply putting users on notice of their possible
application.

Along those lines, the Terms of Use (Section 1(b)) do try to provide a fair
warning to our users about their local laws and enforcement by government
authorities. Specifically, the Terms say in Section 1(b): "Although we may
not agree with such actions, we warn editors and contributors that
authorities may seek to apply other country laws to you, including local
laws where you live or where you view or edit content."

Furthermore, in the last paragraph of section 4, WMF reserves the
discretion to enforce that section which governs certain behaviors on the
sites. Considering the totality of the circumstances, the WMF wouldn't try
to enforce section 4 (or any other parts of the Terms of Use) in a way that
was not aligned with our mission. For example, we would never try to use
the Terms against a dissident in a censored country who tries to express
himself or herself truthfully and freely on-wiki, in violation of their
local laws.

(As pointed out during the drafting process, this provision is consistent
with other like-minded organizations' terms. Creative Commons,[0] the
Internet Archive,[1] and the Open Source Initiative's[2] terms, for
example, require users to comply with "applicable" laws.)

Thanks,
pb

0. https://creativecommons.org/terms (Section 7)
1. http://archive.org/about/terms.php (Paragraph 3)