[Wikimedia-l] Updated Terms of Use

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:45:48 UTC 2012

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com, 03/05/2012 14:17:
> Encouraging people outside the US to live as though they live inside it, is neither wise nor ethical.

On the other hand, this is what happens (o could have happened) in other
parts of the Terms of use which apply to /users/ (not their
contributions) the USA laws where they're more restrictive. The whole
section "Refraining from Certain Activities" has this problem, which is
very hard to avoid given that nobody really knows what the "applicable
law" is. There was a lot of work on this part as well, I'm not able to
judge the results.
Both problems originate from the decision to enforce via a private
contract the state laws (privatization of justice or statement of the
obvious? I don't know). The old ToU left everything implicit (or were
reticent, depending on how you see it).

Nemo