[Wikimedia-l] article feedback tool, do the links really point where they should to?

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Wed May 2 21:06:44 UTC 2012

Thanks for bringing these issues up, Rupert :).

So, in reverse order (because I'm contrary like that!):

*The directing-people-to-edit-semi-protected-or-protected-pages issue is a
known problem :(. We're hoping to correct it in our next deployment (this
Thursday) or the following Thursday so that people aren't confronted with
such confusing messages.

*The tutorial doesn't link directly to the "edit" page, no; we thought it
would be too jarring :). Do people think we should link directly there? I'm
not adverse to doing so.

*The "learn more" text could use some clarification; I'll bring it up and
see if the designers/developers/product people think we should alter it in
the next deployment.

Thanks for these really helpful suggestions; please feel free to send me
any more you think of :)

On 1 May 2012 22:34, rupert THURNER <rupert.thurner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM, rupert THURNER
> <rupert.thurner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > when looking at an article, a little "improve this page" popped up at
> > the bottom. can it be that some of the links are misguided?
> >
> > "learn how to edit" does not link to the "learn how to edit" page
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_Feedback_Tool/Editing).
> > but it links on a page telling how to navigate around, how to create
> > an account, and how to edit.
> >
> > the "learn how to edit" page,
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_Feedback_Tool/Editing
> > does not contain a short reason or wizard to create an account.
> >
> > the help icon "?" pops up a little window saying "wikipedia wants to
> > know what you think".
> >
> > on this little pop up there is a link "learn more" (about wikipedia
> > wants to know what you think obviously?) which then links to a help
> > page showing on top an image (png) where one should enter the
> > feedback. (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_Feedback_Tool/Version_5/Help
> )
> >
> > then i tried to type in feedback into that image - which finally made
> > me write this mail :)
>
> and - if you really press edit - one ends up at an article saying:
>
> This article has a long history of vandalism. Please note that such
> disruption will be met with blocks from editing. Please report
> vandalism on this article to the administrator's vandalism
> noticeboard.
> This article uses British English and spellings such as "artefacts"
> should not be changed to American English spellings such as
> "artifacts".
> Thank you.
>
> Note: This page has been semi-protected so that only autoconfirmed
> users can edit it. If you need any help getting started with editing,
> see the New contributors' help page.
>

> rupert

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development