[Wikimedia-l] "Clerk" role description?

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:11:45 UTC 2012

On 1 May 2012 17:06, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 May 2012 21:47, Michael Snow <wikipedia at frontier.com> wrote:
> > I don't know, is it actually that hard to make a determination that
> creating
> > this kind of support role is useful? We may not have worked out all the
> > details of the process, but it seems clear that the process will have a
> > certain "weight" appropriate to the importance people are placing on this
> > issue. That could make it quite natural to need clerks, even if we don't
> > know yet exactly what the clerks will do. If people like SJ and Sue are
> > anticipating a possible need, that's a decent indicator that we might as
> > well have the conversation and not simply postpone it.
>
> I think it is fairly obvious that the FDC will need some kind of
> administrative support. The only question is whether that should come
> from volunteer clerks or WMF staff. There are pros and cons to both,
> so it's a conversation worth having.

I agree that it is likely they'll need some kind of support.  The type of
support they will need is mostly dependent on what their scope and
responsibilities are, though.  This is very much cart-before-the-horse in
my mind, kind of like hiring the cafeteria staff before you decide whether
or not you're going to have a cafeteria.

Risker/Anne