[Wikimedia-l] "Clerk" role description?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue May 1 19:06:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:00:23 -0700, Sue Gardner wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I had a 90-second conversation the other day with SJ about whether it
> would make sense for us to use volunteer "clerks" as support for the
> FDC (Funds Dissemination Committee), and I'm wondering if anyone can
> point me towards any documentation of the role -- a description of
> how
> it's typically used, either inside Wikimedia or outside. I have the
> gist, but am curious to learn more, if anyone's got links they could
> point me towards.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

I am not a native speaker, and this is what I get from Oxford
Dictionary

     a person employed in an office or bank to keep records and accounts
and to undertake other routine administrative duties: a bank clerk
     an official in charge of the records of a local council or court: a
clerk to the court
     a lay officer of a cathedral, parish church, college chapel, etc.:
a chapter clerk

     2 (also desk clerk) a receptionist in a hotel.
     an assistant in a store; a salesclerk.

     3 (also clerk in holy orders) formal a member of the clergy.

Based on this definition, I would not like to be called a clerk. May be
an Arbcom clerk is ok, because they are supposed to keep records and
undertake routine administrative duties, but not for FDC, whise members
are expected to advise.

Cheers
Yaroslav