[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 04:59:56 UTC 2012

On 27 June 2012 05:15, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps so. :)) (But clearly, so have you.)

The difference being that I've been following Wikipedia criticism for
much longer to the point where I can just view it as a rather
repetitive soap opera.

> I was actually thinking of the board, or just Jimbo himself, rather than
> any wider group of luminaries (or actual Wikipedia editors). If Google
> wanted something, I am sure they would speak in person to the people they
> have had personal contact with.

The problem with your theory is that firstly it assumes a level of
control that those people don't have and secondly that you are
forgetting that Google is a PLC.

> So, seen from one perspective, all the value that volunteers had created in
> the English Wikipedia over a decade was leveraged to support one view on
> copyrights, which happened to coincide with Google's business interests.
> And Google happened to donate half a million to Wikipedia just around that
> time.

That would be the conspiracy theorist perspective yes.

--
geni