[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:23:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Marc A. Pelletier <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
> On 26/06/2012 2:02 PM, Kim Bruning wrote:
>>
>> Wow, thank goodness we never had advertising. The TV-Tropes wiki has been
>> forced to censor a
>> number of pages due to advertiser pressure.
>>

> And thus is the wisdom of eschewing advertizement and sponsorship
> highlighted for all too see.  I've always supported the model of yearly
> donation drives to avoid it -- occasionally creepy Jimmy pictures
> notwithstanding -- and this is the reason why.

Wow! Indeed! Someone somewhere bowed for something to advertizers!!!!!
Of course, if we would have had advertizing, we would also have bowed
for them after they of course would have had similar demands. Is
Wikipedia also going to remove rape articles if people are saying they
will not donate if we do not? No way. Why can we tell that to donators
and not to advertizers?

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com