[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:30:44 UTC 2012

As far as I can make out, the problem was that they could no longer keep up
with moderating these pages, and that the content turned creepier and
creepier.

---o0o---

@ Marq FJA

Eddie tends to be a little abrupt in his explanations.

The gist of it is that rape (much like sex and other similar topics) have
become difficult to moderate across such a huge wiki.

Banning rape is probably the way to go, at least given the current
situation and as a temporary solution, but the only real way to deal with
the underlying problem is to implement better rules, enlarge the mod team,
and have stricter moderation.

There are unfortunately very creepy users around the wiki, but give it half
a year or more of harsher-than-usual moderation, and the wiki will become
easier to handle in that aspect.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13337475620A51675000&page=17#410

---o0o---

These are generic problems, and Wikimedia is not free of them.