[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Jun 26 19:22:48 UTC 2012

On 26/06/2012 2:02 PM, Kim Bruning wrote:
> Wow, thank goodness we never had advertising. The TV-Tropes wiki has been forced to censor a
> number of pages due to advertiser pressure.

And thus is the wisdom of eschewing advertizement and sponsorship
highlighted for all too see.  I've always supported the model of yearly
donation drives to avoid it -- occasionally creepy Jimmy pictures
notwithstanding -- and this is the reason why.

We are, like it or not, in a society increasingly driven by marketeers
and focus groups; being at the mercy of entities who care nothing for
information or knowledge so long as their precious *image* is pristine
is the norm, and Wikipedia remains a bastion of sanity in that sea of
madness.

-- Coren / Marc