[Wikimedia-l] Language links and double language links on the Wikipedias

Deryck Chan deryckchan at wikimedia.hk
Tue Jun 26 13:46:08 UTC 2012

One major problem with double language links I've encountered before was
that they confuse interwiki bots and therefore break things. Several
articles on the Cantonese Wikipedia (zh-yue.wp) pertaining to local
political and cultural issues in the Cantonese-speaking world have
__NOBOT__ on them simply because they have topic splits that are
significantly different from other Wikipedias, and bot interwiki
manipulation need to be prevented to maintain topic correspondence between
languages.

In short: double language links are a possible idea, but only if we can
upgrade the interwiki bots first.