[Wikimedia-l] Language links and double language links on the Wikipedias

Ziko van Dijk vandijk at wmnederland.nl
Mon Jun 25 17:34:31 UTC 2012

Hello,

So may I guess that "double links" are usually the result of a
Wikipedian who was not sure which language link to set, so in doubt,
he simply put in the language links for two different articles?

And in general, is it imagineable that different languages divide the
knowledge in different ways, which could jeopardize the whole goal of
Wikidata unifiying the language links?

Kind regards
Ziko

2012/6/25 Delirium <delirium at hackish.org>:
> Thanks for this list. For the languages I know, I've started going through
> and fixing ones that are clearly wrong. If a number of people do that, that
> should improve the general quality/consistency of interwiki links. I second
> the other comment that it'd be nice if the parsing could be re-run to
> exclude commented-out links, but the list is still useful as is.
>
> There are some difficult cases, though, when languages make different
> choices on how to group subjects, so the articles aren't actually in 1-to-1
> correspondence. For example, the English article [[en: Móði and Magni]]
> unsurprisingly has two outgoing interwiki links, when linking to languages
> that split them, such as [[da:Magni]] and [[da:Modi]]. It's not clear what
> to do about these cases.
>
> Best,
> Mark
>

> On 6/25/12 12:29 PM, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I ran some analysis last week, to get some numbers out of the
>> Wikipedia language links. One type of reports that were generated was
>> the list of all articles in the main namespaces of the Wikipedias that
>> link to more than one article in another language edition of Wikipedia
>> (so called double language links). There are not that many of them
>> (about 19,000 in total), split by language, all available here:
>>
>> <http://simia.net/languagelinks/>
>>
>> Double language links are not errors per se, but they contain a few
>> nuisances
>> * they lead to two links in the language links list that just look the
>> same (you have to hover over them to see that they link to different
>> languages), which is not really optimal from the user experience side
>> * they are not saved in the langlinks table and thus are ignored in
>> certain reports and also in the respective export
>>
>> I am not sure how to reach out to the respective Wikipedia
>> communities, or if I should at all. Should I post to their respective
>> version of the village pump? Remembering from the time I was active on
>> the Croatian Wikipedia, I would have appreciated that list to check
>> the entries. I reckoned the wikipedia-l list would be the right place,
>> but that list looks rather dead.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Denny

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland