[Wikimedia-l] FSF Blocked by MS "Net nanny software"

David Richfield davidrichfield at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:31:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org> wrote:
> I didn't really mind it -- a fun reminder some people still live in the
> Micro$haft Winbl0ws 1990s. :)

The fact is that Microsoft still effectively levies a tax on most
computers sold, with no way for the consumer to know exactly how much
of the cost of their system is a payment to Redmond, and no way to
recover this cost.

It's long past the '90s, but Microsoft still tries to divide and
conquer by attempting to convince users that they can get sued for
using Linux unless they use a paid-for flavour of SUSE.

Microsoft tries to subvert and avoid any open standards (see ODF [they
implemented it in a way that is incompatible with other
implementations] and OOXML [they built in patent protection to their
format to lock out free implementations, but try to avoid criticism
with vague "promises" not to sue]) Embrace, Extend, Extinguish still
seems to be their strategy.

They work with free projects when it suits them (and I'm actually
quite grateful for their aerial photography in OpenStreetMap) but we
have to be very very careful whenever we work with them that we don't
get suckered into anything.

Wikimedia stands for freedom, and Microsoft has repeatedly shown
itself to be an enemy of freedom.  They are not to be trusted.

--
David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]