[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 20 22:46:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> {{sofixit}}, just like any area with NPOV/undue weight issues.

"The next day someone will fix it back." - Douglas Hofstadter

> Good for him. Care to summarize his argument? I don't particularly
> care to watch his video, or for him in general after the
> OHNOESVIRGINKILLERIMAGE!!! hysteria a while back.

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

> You are, of course, starting from the presumption that the way you
> want to do it -is- the "responsible" way, or what have you.

As opposed to what, assuming that the way we want to do it is the
irresponsible way?

If I thought the way I wanted to do something was irresponsible, I
wouldn't want to do it that way any more!

> I have no
> problem with developing best practices, and certainly I don't think
> anyone will argue that we should host or retain porn or near-porn
> involving kids

Certainly some people will argue this.  I believe that, fortunately,
most of them are banned, though.