[Wikimedia-l] Purpose-driven motivation

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 03:57:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9p4o050EY
>
> Someone sent this to me earlier this week. It's a ten-minute cartoon video
> that discusses purpose and motivation. The video lightly touches on
> technical projects such as Wikipedia, Apache, and Linux and focuses on the
> research into why people spend their free time on such projects.
>
> I imagine some people on this list have already seen this, but it's new to
> me and I thought I'd send it along in case others found it interesting.
>
> MZMcBride

This is extremely relevant to the projects and why they are successful at
all. +1 recommend.

If you're interested, the speaker (who I don't think is named) is Dan Pink
and he has a book on this subject.[1]

If you're interested in the topic of Wikipedia and motivations in specific,
Maryana and I will be giving a talk at Wikimania reporting on research we
did involving 30-odd interviews with Wikipedians.[2]

Steven

1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive:_The_Surprising_Truth_About_What_Motivates_Us
2.