[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:21:01 UTC 2012

Am 18.06.2012 09:00, schrieb Tom Morris:
> On Monday, 18 June 2012 at 02:44, Tobias Oelgarte wrote:
>
>> Every stupid bot could do this. There is no "running out of the box"
>> solution at the moment, but the effort to set up something like this
>> would be minimal compared to anything else.
>>
>> I would say that Citizendium failed because they did no automatic
>> updating. What i have in mind is delayed mirror with update control. It
>> is not meant to be edited by hand. It is a subset of the current content
>> selected by the host (one or many users) of the page himself. It is
>> essentially a whitelist for Wikipedia that only contains
>> selected/checked content. That way a "childrens Wiki" could easily be
>> created, by not including any unwanted content, while the effort stays
>> minimal. (Not more effort then to create your own book from a list of
>> already written articles)
> {{sofixit}}
>

> If all the people in favour of filters had spent their time building them rather than arguing about them, we would have had a wide array of different solutions, without any politics or drama.
>
> That said, if people want to filter Wikipedia, a client-side solution rather than a filtered mirror is preferable. If a filtered mirror were to come into existence and become popular, this would mean that people would just filter all of main Wikipedia, which would prevent people from editing Wikipedia. A client-side solution means they are still looking at wikipedia.org just without naughty pics and doesn't interfere with editing. It also reduces the need for any servers.
I never meant that we should host or create such a solution on our own.
Every external "force", which sees a need to do this, could do this for
itself. I'm really not interested to implement a filter on Wikipedia
itself. If there is a huge enough group of readers that want's to have
its own "view" from Wikipedia, than this would be practical way to go.
It would not make much of a difference if it is installed locally or as
a web service. The web based solution would only have the advantage that
it could "entertain" a open or partially closed community that selects
the content.

To clarify: I'm against any kind of filtering done by the WMF or our
community itself. If others want to, then they can do that by using and
filtering our content on their own.