[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Report, May 2012

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 19:20:05 UTC 2012

Tilman,

Thanks for the report.

I would like to suggest that for the foreseeable future (not just for June),
these monthly reports should include a fuller set of updates on the editor
engagement and retention efforts. My understanding is that this is a high
priority effort for WMF, it seems to involve a fairly significant number of
WMF FTEs and LTEs, and I think it is of interest to the global Wikimedia
community.

Personally I am very concerned about the continuing slide in the number of
active editors. There are many areas on ENWP where having a few more active
editors would be very helpful, and I speculate that other projects would
also appreciate having additional active editors. My concerns are
illustrated beautifully on some of the graphs here:
"http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/new_editors",
"http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors", and
"http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors_target".

I would like to hear more about what progress is being made to improve the
trends. We heard about the Teahouse and new initiatives for Arabic
Wikipedia, which are very good, and I especially appreciated the detailed
reports on the Teahouse pilot that were sent to ENWP participants' talk
pages through "The Tea Leaf" newsletter, including links to
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse/Host_lounge/Metrics" and
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse/Pilot_report". I also
appreciated reading about the progress of India communications and community
support. I would like to hear more about what the projected effects of these
initiatives will be on the editor statistics in the global report cards,
have the projections compared to actuals, and get updates on these
projections and actuals each month. The amount of staff and financial
resources that are invested in editor engagement (including development of
the visual editor), and the importance of the outcomes of those efforts for
the movement and Wikimedia Strategic Plan priorities, are of significant
interest to me and I imagine to many other members of the global Wikimedia
community.

Thank you,

Pine