[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jun 17 13:30:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 June 2012 13:21, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> No software is perfect.  No solution is perfect.  But don't let the
>> perfect be the enemy of the good.
>
> You're assuming that a "good" exists for this function. This
> assumption is entirely unsubstantiated.

YouTube's age restricted content policy is "good".  That is to say,
it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than Wikipedia's policies.  My
kids are much more likely to run across hard core pornography while
clicking around on Wikipedia than clicking around on YouTube.
Personally I'd prefer they rely more on whitelisting than on
blacklisting - but what they do is already a *lot* better than
Wikipedia.