[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 17 09:47:36 UTC 2012

Am 17.06.2012 09:11, schrieb Federico Leva (Nemo):
> Anthony, 17/06/2012 05:05:
>> I still would have been confused.  Still am, actually.  Did this
>> paragraph have a serious point at all?  I hope so, because Wikipedia's
>> porn problem is a serious issue.
>
> The point was, I think, that no "software" is perfect (not even
> parents' brain) and that parents can't rely on software too much. Not
> that hard to understand, hence please avoid off-topic (see subject)
> paternalism.
>
> Nemo

This interpretation is right but a also a bit incomplete. It also
criticizes the "one hat suits everyone" approach. The reasons are:

a) Children have not the same age. What should a 8 year old see and what
a 16 year old? I doubt that there is a good compromise between both
ages, what i called black- and white-listing.

b) Also parents have different expectations depending on how they see
their child or themselves.

c) The proposed filter would have affected all projects and therefore
every culture the same way, ignoring cultural differences entirely.

This leaves the question: What is the prototype target group for the
filter? If I remember correctly, this was never defined.