[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 16 19:21:15 UTC 2012

Am 15.06.2012 23:22, schrieb Andreas Kolbe:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I don't recall seeing any, but did anyone actually explain why the
>> market had not provided a filtering solution for Wikipedia, if there's
>> actually a demand for one?
>>
>> (IIRC the various netnannies for workplaces don't filter Wikipedia, or
>> do so only by keyword, i.e. [[Scunthorpe problem]]-susceptible,
>> methods.)
>>

> UK schools of course filter, but both the bestiality video and everything
> that comes up in a multimedia search for "male human" was accessible on
> computers in my son's school. Much to their surprise. The one thing their
> filter did catch was the masturbation videos category page in Commons.

That means they already found a solution to their problem that includes
the whole web at once. As you might have noticed it isn't perfect. I
guess that it could be easily improved over time. But the image filter
had an different goal. It wouldn't help the schools, since the content
is still accessible. But why we discuss about schools and children all
the time and speak about it as a net nanny?