[Wikimedia-l] CheckUser openness

Neil Babbage neil at thebabbages.com
Fri Jun 15 06:43:46 UTC 2012

Notification of some checks would always have to be withheld to allow complex investigations to be completed without "tipping off". There is public information that suggests there have been complex abuse cases (real abuse, like harassment, not vandalism). To notify parties suspected of involvement while these long running investigations are underway is broadly analogous to receiving an automated email when your name is searched on the FBI national computer: the innocent want an explanation that wastes police time; the guilty realise they are being investigated and are tipped off to adapt their behaviour.  As soon as there is an option to suppress the alert you are back to square 1: CUs may suppress the notification to "hide" what they are doing.

End of the day, the communities elected the CUs knowing they'd be able to secretly check private data - so you have to trust them to do what you ask them to do or elect someone else you do trust.

Neil / QuiteUnusual at Wikibooks