[Wikimedia-l] CheckUser openness

En Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 06:22:29 UTC 2012

Hi Nathan,

For a moment, let's suppose that there is a global policy that all CU checks
must be disclosed to the person being checked, with the information
disclosed in private email, and only consisting of the date of the check and
the user who performed the check. What benefit does this have to the user
who was checked? This information doesn't make the user more secure, it
doesn't make the user's information more private, and there are no actions
that the user is asked to take. Perhaps there is a benefit, but I am having
difficulty thinking of what that benefit would be. I can think of how this
information would benefit a dishonest user, but not how it would benefit an
honest user. If there is a valuable benefit that an honest user receives
from this information, what is it?

Thanks,

Pine