[Wikimedia-l] CheckUser openness

John phoenixoverride at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:07:10 UTC 2012

I am not asking for full disclosure, what I am asking is that established
user have the right to be notified when and why they are being checkusered.
The evidence checkusers get do not need to be disclosed, Its as simple as:

 X performed a checkuser on you because Y at Z UTC

that provides clarity and openness while keeping the information checkusers
use confidential. A note like that would provide vandals with very little
information. And the second step of defining a threshold would eliminate
most of the vandal checks.

To me this screams of lets keep oversight of checkuser to a minimum. Right
now there is the ombudsman committee globally (to ask for review from them
we need evidence, realistically only other checkusers can provide that)
and on enwp there is the Audit Subcommittee, which 75% of are either arbcom
members (be defacto are granted CU ), former arbcom, or former CU. To me
that really reeks of lack of independent oversight. Notifying an
established user that they are subject to a CU doesnt harm the CU's ability
to do their job unless they themselves have something to hide. Its not like
I am asking for CU's to release IP addresses/user-agents or anything else
that could assist me in avoiding scrutiny.