[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:31:26 UTC 2012

On 14 June 2012 18:01, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, but this is called editorial judgement

No its called censorship. Or at least it will be called censorship by
enough people to make any debate not worth the effort.

>rather than something that can be imposed by filtering.

True for wikipedia but commons in particular needs some way or another
to provide more focused search results.

>(Although the board and staff claim that
> editorial judgement they disagree with must just be trolling is how
> "principle of least surprise" becomes "we need a filter system".)

Perhaps but I wasn't aware that their opinions were considered to be
of any significance at this point.

Okey they did block [[user:Beta_M]] but the fact that very much came
out of the blue shows how little consideration they are given these
days.

The fact remains that anyone who actually wants a filter could
probably put one together in the form of an Adblock plus filter list
within a few days. So far the only list I'm aware of is one I put
together to filter out images of Giant isopods.

--
geni