[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Wed Jun 13 20:44:48 UTC 2012

My understanding of this line of argument was that images would be displayed where you would expect them to be displayed (e.g. the article on penis or vagina would naturally include a picture of a penis or vagina), but wouldn't be immediately displayed where you wouldn't expect them (e.g. if you want to find information on necklaces made of pearls).

Whether that is called 'principle of least surprise' or 'principle of least astonishment' or something else is semantics...

Thanks,
Mike