[Wikimedia-l] Update on IPv6

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:49:30 UTC 2012

On 13 June 2012 15:39, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Risker wrote:
>
> "I am struggling to think of any other website of any nature that I have
> ever visited that publicly identifies editors/posters by their IP address,
> except for a few other wikis.  I've seen "unregistered user" before, and
> similar nomenclature. Can anyone think of another site (regardless of
> purpose) that links the editor/poster publicly to their full IP address?"
>
> IP address, no. Facebook profile (which is, as for most people, under my
> real name)? Sure. Even so, a comparison between Wikimedia and Google or the
> NY Times or Facebook or Gawker etc. fails because it does not recognize the
> many philosophical and practical differences between those sites and a
> Wikimedia project.

Nathan, I'm still trying to come up with *any* site that permits
unregistered users to post but also publishes their full IP address.  Can
you think of any at all?  Let's not limit it to the big guys, let's really
think this through and explore what is going on outside of our own
bailiwick.  Just because we've done things for a long time doesn't mean we
shouldn't improve ourselves.

Risker

Risker