[Wikimedia-l] Update on IPv6

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jun 13 12:43:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I noticed that my current IPv6 address appears to be assigned
> dynamically by XS4ALL. I can probably get static if I choose it. But the
> dynamic assignment option does alleviate some people's privacy
> concerns, right?

One particular concern, which isn't really much different from IPv4.

And in something like 90% of browser configurations, you're already
giving out a semi-static unique string with every request anyway.
(see https://panopticlick.eff.org/)

The bigger concern for WMF is the possibility for increased privacy.

> ps. We all know that everyone needs to switch to IPv6 eventually.

Unless IPv7 or IPv8 comes out first.