[Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 10 18:55:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is where I think things become slightly problematic.  There are, in
> broad terms, two categories of hoaxes: those which are fundamentally
> harmless (these typically being of the "did you know that 'gullible' isn't
> in the dictionary" variety), and those which have the potential to be
> harmful (including, but not limited to, false statements about drugs,
> crimes, politically explosive issues, etc.).  The speedy deletion system
> makes no real attempt to distinguish between these (with the exception of
> blatant attacks on living people, which have their own deletion tag), but
> retaining the second category in a publicly-viewable (and
> publicly-searcheable?) form is probably not desirable.

I am willing to delete articles from the wikia, they are also archived on
archive.org.
it would be nice to work out a detailed tagging system to work out what may
be archived and what not.
We can remove categories and add them.

But lets look at some of these,
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Ipod_5.5_generation this looks like
someone who is providing infomation in the wrong way, but could be valid.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Trantlers this is funny and would like
to keep it and add a picture of it, maybe to a humor section. this one too
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Trantlas

http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Willyfor this is strange , but might
be some meme or urban legend. I guess unencylopedia.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Like_Dis_Like_Dat same here, this is
also unencylopedia material.

now this looks like a hoax , and could be deleted, but also unencylopedia
stuff.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Aman_hadid

personally I am interested in non notable articles, my experience with
dealing with encouraging editors and collection creative commons licensed
information
on places that are not very notable like villages in kosovo could be helped
with these articles.
if we can find authors who are willing to write about non notable topics,
maybe we can collect them and categorize them.
this could be a recruiting mechanism and also provide good basic data and
maybe new contributors for wikitravel and openstreetmap.
with a staging system like this speedydeletion wikia you will have a way to
demote articles to the speedy deletion purgatory where they might redeem
themselves.