[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:30:29 UTC 2012

OSM is great. Here in Addis Ababa, street names are not used except in a
handful of major thoroughfares; people navigate by landmark. OSM has far
more navigable map of the city than googlemaps does.  In some areas it
labels the street name in the local fashion (e.g. "Road to Gerji Giorgis).
Yet it fails in other aspects -- the U.S. embassy is the most recognizable
landmark on Intoto street, and is not listed; neither are the French,
German, or British embassies. The EU Commission is not listed on Cape Verde
st. even though that street is commonly known as "EU Road". Yet, the
Brazilian Ambassador's residence, not a particularly well known landmark,
is known.

Dan Rosenthal