[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

Richard Symonds richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 11:06:45 UTC 2012

Oddly, I checked a family home in Missouri the other day.

On Google maps, it's set about 1 mile from where it should be... and on the
wrong side of the Missouri river. It shows roads where there are none, and
is thoroughly unusable. UPS etc don't deliver to the house because it's not
on their navigation systems...

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=google+maps+336+rose+lee+lane,+MO&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87d9437774ae90b1:0xe097361aeae6e007,336+Rose+Lee+Ln,+Union,+MO+63084,+USA&gl=uk&ei=C4rQT_bNH8TZ8APbgeHRDA&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA

Of course, OSM is more accurate than any others - compare the link above,
with this link, showing a more accurate - but incomplete - map:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.396220356226&lon=-91.0328784584999&zoom=18

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992