[Wikimedia-l] Any studies on economic impact of community-produced open data?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Jun 3 17:25:26 UTC 2012

We are serving up our product at cost. That we might, by rent seeking,
charge a much higher price is due more to the geometry of possible rent
seeking opportunities than to economic factors. Rent seeking, or profits,
is an optional cost imposed by political decision.

This situation can exist because a tiny fraction of the global workforce
will work simply for a sense of accomplishment, or whatever. It has no
applicability to the vast majority of workers who will toil only for
reasonable compensation.

Fred