[Wikimedia-l] Update on IPv6

Hersfold hersfoldwiki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 03:04:51 UTC 2012

Sorry if I'm veering off on a tangent or repeating things here, I only
just got added to this list a short while ago but was asked to convey my
concerns here.

While this has been discussed for some time, it seems as though the
announcement that this is getting turned on was only made just recently;
the coverage on January 16th John refers to doesn't seem to mention when
this was going to be deployed, and I don't recall any mention on-wiki of
IPv6 since then. For such a potentially major change, five day's notice
is simply not enough for the entire community to digest. As it is, I
still don't see any mention of this change on en.wiki's Technical or
Miscellaneous Village Pump, nor either Administrator's Noticeboard, the
common announcement locations for such changes.

My second, and more pressing concern, is how well this will work.
Speaking quite frankly, the development team has a bit of a bad habit of
deploying something on Labs or the test wiki or whatever, deciding it
works, and then deploying it straight to Wikipedia and the other public
WMF sites. Unfortunately when they do so, hell breaks loose because all
sorts of problems crop up - bugs that didn't crop up because the test
wiki receives far less traffic than Wikipedia, issues with the interface
that weren't addressed now cause problems because the users of Wikipedia
don't use the test wiki, and it takes weeks for the issues to get fixed
and/or for the community to adjust to the changes. Considering the
traffic Wikipedia receives (it's the 5th most popular website in the
world, after all), it seems remarkably inappropriate to treat it as a
beta testing ground.

I'm very concerned that this is what's going to happen with the IPv6
change - something major is going to fail, and the wiki will become
inaccessible, or some major security feature (blocking or protection,
for example) will be rendered inoperable, leaving the wikis vulnerable
to attack from all fronts. The latter situation seems to be more likely
based on past issues, and unfortunately more problematic; once these
issues get noted, it'll take only minutes for /b/, GNAA, and a long list
of other vandals to figure it out and launch a full-scale attack that'll
take weeks to clean up.

Can we receive some sort of assurance from the development team that the
IPv6 system has been fully stress-tested, at a level comparable to what
Wikipedia and the other wikis may face, and that all extensions used by
the wikis were part of this test? If such an assurance cannot be made
before June 6th, can the deployment of this update be delayed until that
testing can be completed? For such a major website, I feel that
consistent operation is more important than adhering to the latest
standards.

----
User:Hersfold
hersfoldwiki at gmail.com