[Wikimedia-l] conversations between WMF and non-English projects

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:30:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 29 July 2012 22:48, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> While I may not be involved in the Portuguese Wikipedia, I do have a
> >> masters degree in mathematics, so I can reliably inform you that
> >> "majority" is not the same as "all".
> >>
> >> The WMF tends to employ smart people, so I assume that whoever wrote
> >> that bit of the plan knew that that wasn't the most accurate way of
> >> describing the activity. So, my question to you is: why did they
> >> describe it that way? Why say "Portuguese Wikipedia’s top
> >> contributors" when "a selection of Wikipedians in Brazil" would have
> >> been far more accurate?
> >>

> > You're making a mountain out of a mole hill here, Thomas. Perhaps the
> > caveat "some of" should be added to "Portuguese Wikipedia's top
> > contributors", but the current statement is more accurate than the one
> you
> > proposed, given the state of Pt Wikipedia and who came to our meetups.
>
> This is not a mole hill. It is the WMF (I assume intentionally, since
> you must have known better) misleading people about its activities.
> You had a particular message you wanted to give, so you described the
> activity in a way that supported that message even though that was not
> an accurate description.
>
> Your description is certainly not more accurate that mine, given that
> mine is 100% accurate...

This is a joke, right? You are irritated that they said "top Portuguese
Wikipedia contributors" instead of "some top Portuguese Wikipedia
contributors" because why? What motive could the WMF have had for
"misleading" you in this way? Did you mistakenly assume that this meant
they met with people in Portugal? Did you imagine that they met both
Portuguese and Brazilian contributors to the Portuguese Wikipedia on the
same trip? Please, enlighten us.