[Wikimedia-l] conversations between WMF and non-English projects

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 19:30:52 UTC 2012

Amir E. Aharoni, 29/07/2012 20:27:
> In the 2012-13 WMF plan document I saw an interesting thing:
> "We’ve hosted key community stakeholders such as English Wikipedia’s
> ArbCom and Portuguese Wikipedia’s top contributors, in an effort to
> better understand and respond to issues they're facing." (page 41).
>
> I was very happy to read this. In general, I hope that such focused
> meetings will be held with more language communities. I don't think
> that I need to explain why :)

I'm not sure I like the idea of "key community stakeholders", but I
agree. The following passage is interesting as well, in fact I had
forwarded it to WikiIT-l already:

«In response, in 2012-13 we intend to invest in more thoroughly
understanding the non-en-WP communities, and growing our social and
political capital. To that end, we will build a team of three community
advocates inside the Legal and Community Advocacy department, with the
goal of better understanding the non-English language communities,
particularly German, Japanese, Spanish, Russian, French and Italian.
We will also recruit an additional 5-10 experienced community members as
short-term WMF fellows.»

Nemo