[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sun Jul 29 06:00:34 UTC 2012

Risker wrote:
> This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
> community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
> discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> does not subscribe.

Because you haven't created such a place yet. Meta-Wiki would be the
appropriate wiki. You can use a generic forum such as
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum> or feel free to just pick
a title (such as <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Annual_Plan>).

There used to be strategy.wikimedia.org, but there's general agreement that
we want to push these types of discussions into a central wiki, and
Meta-Wiki is that wiki.

I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a bit
tricky with raw HTML being allowed there. I have some thoughts on this, but
haven't had much motivation to act on them.

And this all isn't to say that I agree with your premise. This mailing list
is a perfectly fine place to discuss the Annual Plan. If the community wants
to be engaged in these types of discussions, they know to join and use this
mailing list. It's not as though this is list is some new and foreign forum.

MZMcBride