[Wikimedia-l] FDC Eligibility Status

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Wed Jul 25 11:25:00 UTC 2012

Just checking....

The meta page
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Funds_Dissemination_Committee/2012_Round_1_Eligibility_Status

outlines that amongst the obligations is the fact of providing financial
reports in English

    "What we have considered as 'financial reports' : financial reports
    in English (per the Chapter Agreement) that offer complete details
    of an entity’s revenue and expenditure over the course of its fiscal
    year."

And errrrr.... yeah. I'd like to ask what is the level of requirement
with regards to what is called "Financial reporting" and what do you
exactly expect.

Because when we signed the agreement, back in 2005.... Financial
Reporting was something quite basic (a paragraph or so in our annual
report and a bunch of figures).

Last year, this page was set up
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Financial_reports
for reporting. But as discussed during the financial meeting, rather
fail to meet a common ground as not all financial systems work the same.

Fundraising Agreement on the other hand does mention Financial
reporting. But it absolutely does not mention that these should be in
English.
The exact wording of the FA is

    Providing a copy of accurate and complete audited financial
    statements and the auditor’s letter to management, compiled by the
    auditor appointed by the board of the Chapter, for the 2011 fiscal
    year, by September 1, 2012 and on the same schedule for any Renewal
    Periods.

But.... I already feel sick in the stomach at the idea of translating
our complete Financial Reports.
See for example our financial report here:
http://www.wikimedia.fr/sites/default/files/Comptes%202011%20certifiés.pdf
It certainly does it great to understand better a financial situation.

But we probably need an in-between report systems :)

This was discussed during the Financial meeting, but I am not quite sure
what is the outcome of the work done afterwards on the matter (something
such as a common reporting document where we would add figures as much
as we can).

What's the status on this ?

Florence