[Wikimedia-l] Protest against ACTA/Mexico in Spanish Wikinews

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 25 08:35:26 UTC 2012

On 07/24/12 4:32 PM, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> FYI: Spanish Wikinews today bears a site notice in protest against the
> Mexican government signing the ACTA agreement. It says: The internet
> must remain free. The Freedom of the internet is in peril."
>
> The Spanish Wikinews community has issued a press release on the matter:
>
> https://es.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinoticias:Comunicado_de_prensa_acerca_de_la_firma_de_ACTA_en_México
>
> I think we should express our solidarity with Spanish Wikinews editors.

The signing of ACTA is seen as a precondition for Mexico's participation
in the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership).  This was despite warnings from
the Mexican Senate that it should be studied before being signed. The
Senate still has to ratify it before it is passed, and that is probably
where the Mexican battle needs to be waged.

Ray