[Wikimedia-l] photography restrictions at the Olympics

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:51:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>wrote:

> On 24 July 2012 10:21, Frederic Schutz <schutz at mathgen.ch> wrote:
> > Has anyone from the Wikimedia community contacted the IOC on this matter?
> >
> > If not, WM CH could give it a try (their headquarters are in Switzerland,
> > actually less than 2km away from my place). I'm not overly optimistic,
> but
> > it may be worth a try.
>
> Wikimedia Australia have two accredited reporters for the Paralympics,
> but this explicitly does not provide for freely licensed photography:
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Paralympic_Games
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

I think that it is connected with the kind of the category of accreditation.

There are some restrictive categories.

There would be no sense to block this possibility to a professional
photoreporter if a newspaper could release the same photo under free
license afterwards.

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens