[Wikimedia-l] Geolocalization improvement proposal

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 12:28:10 UTC 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 5:32 AM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/7/18 Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian at gmail.com>:
>> I know that the feature may be perceived as invasive so I would like
>> that as many people as possible share their opinion on this and I hope
>> that we can anyway start a discussion that will lead to an improved
>> geolocalization system, whichever we found appropriate.
>
> I am sorry to insist on this issue but having received almost no
> answers in the past week I fear that I was not clear in my request.
> But I indeed have some questions, so I restate them here:
> * Using browser localization capabilities may be perceived as
> invasive. Would you like to use browser localization tool in
> Wikipedia? (yes/no, why?)
> * Do you think the trade-off between bothering user asking to send
> position information and potential benefits (more accurately localized
> messages) is worth?
> * Are you happy with the current system ?
> * Do you think a deeper study of the issue (i.e. a new survey,
> conducted on a broader sample and in a more scientifically precise
> way) would be useful or would help you make a more informed decision?
> * Have you any further proposal for the use of the system?
>
> Thank you, please also use the discussion page of
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Geonotice#Open_questions_.28feedback_welcome.29
> for comments.

I am unaware of what the shortcomings of the current system are and where any improvements would be felt. This makes it a bit hard to have a firm opinion of the trade-offs involved with changing the system. So what exactly are the problems people are having with the current geolocation system?

Birgitte SB