[Wikimedia-l] Apparently, Wikipedia is ugly

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:37:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is strange to me, that whenever we talk about Wikipedia edit
> activity being down, we never discuss the fact that most of the basic
> human knowledge articles have already been written.

I remember this claim being made when we had 2 million articles, and again
when we had 3 million, and again now that we have 4 million.  It wasn't
correct then, and it isn't correct now -- there are millions of perfectly
"basic" articles that still need to be written.

Consider, for example, article number 4 million:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izbat_Al_Burj.  It's a city of some 70,000
people -- is anyone really going to claim that this is a "specialized"
topic?

Kirill