[Wikimedia-l] Apparently, Wikipedia is ugly

Michel Vuijlsteke wikipedia at zog.org
Sat Jul 14 17:37:33 UTC 2012

On 14 July 2012 19:13, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> And I don't think Wikipedia is ugly or lacks user friendliness, which
> is the premise of this article.  And I speak from a reader's point of
> view.

In the words of a far wiser man than you or me: "Yeah, well, you know,
that's just, like, your opinion, man." :)

For one thing, Wikipedia is *objectively* ugly, typography and design wise.
It is hard to read -- and that's not talking about the content, it's just
about the form. Sue, you'll get people saying that it's all a matter of
opinion, but the thing is: it's not.

We've been at this "laying things out" and "making readable pages" thing
for a couple of centuries now, and there's no dark magic involved.

(Quite apart from the main point, that we make it hard for people to engage
with the content, i.e. edit pages and add stuff.)

And we may want to consider if it is really _everyone_ we want
> to edit our articles.

I don't believe you actually said this.

Michel Vuijlsteke