[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:41:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

>> So? I gave you pointers to regs for 501(c)(3), (c)(4), etc.
>
> Well, no, you didn't.

I think most people will agree that I did give you pointers to the
regs. I agree that I did not give you direct links to the regs.
Perhaps you understood "pointers" to mean "direct links."

> I also explained to you that IRC 501(c)(3) does not prohibit certain
> corporations from performing certain actions, rather it *defines*
> certain corporations which do not perform certain actions.

This is all lovely, but I am still unclear as to what you believe you
are disagreeing with me about.

> I figured
> you would confirm this by reading the code.

I didn't see much point in rereading those provisions, because I
didn't understand what exactly you were taking issue with me on. I'm
not sure anyone else does either. Perhaps someone else could explain
your disagreement with me, because I'm drawing a blank here in what
I'm reading from you.

>> What this has to do with WMF or the Russian-language Wikimedians'
>> activism is still beyond me, however.
>
> Nothing.  My comment was about a proposed constitutional amendment to
> overturn Citizen United, and I gave that as an example of something
> that is even more important than PIPA for Wikipedians to protest.

Why Wikipedians in particular? Citizens United (not "Citizen United")
has to do with campaign expenditures. So far as I know, neither WMF
nor Wikimedians have any interest, one way or the other, in attempts
to regulate campaign expenditures, or constitutional amendments
regarding same.

--Mike