[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jul 12 17:08:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> First of all, you selectively quoted me, cutting out the part where I
>> made it obvious that I was talking about regulations that apply to
>> corporations in general.  I specifically pointed out that there are
>> regulations which apply to 501(c)(3) organizations.
>
> I hadn't understood you to be talking also about for-profit
> corporations such as The New York Times Company, which (if you happen
> to read the Times) you may know sometimes tries to affect the outcome
> of elections.

You specifically contrasted regulations "as a corporation" with
regulations "by virtue of its being a nonprofit corporation".  I
responded to both.  You then quoted my response to the first, with
information with respect to the second.

> As for WMF's tax status, I'm not going to talk about that -- I simply
> pointed out that 501(c) organizations are regulated.

501(c) *is a tax status*.  501(c)(3) is a subset of that tax status.

>> If you prohibit corporations from attempting to influence an election,
>> what's the big leap from prohibiting them from attempting to influence
>> legislation?
>
> I'm entirely comfortable with The New York Times Company (a
> corporation) and its efforts to influence the outcome of elections
> (e.g., through candidate endorsements; I wouldn't want to prohibit The
> New York Times Company from political speech.

And fortunately, Citizens United helped protect their right to do so.