[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] New, lower traffic, announcements only email list for Wikimedia developers

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:36:01 UTC 2012

Amir E. Aharoni, 11/07/2012 15:40:
>> And the possible change would be for wikitech-ambassadors to become a
>> medium-to-high-traffic, plain English, list for discussion between
>> developers and Wikimedia users, to report issues, share ideas and
>> provide feedback in unapologetically layman terms. The "Ambassadors"
>> part also means that users who are on that list will have a role in
>> disseminating information to their local communities, and reporting
>> back issues possibly raised on local wikis.
>
> It was my initiative about two years ago to start wikitech-ambassadors
> and that's what I hoped it will become. It didn't, but it's still very
> much needed.

What's needed? We surely need ways to spread the word better and
especially during the "emergencies" such as deploy a mailing list can be
the way but surely it's not good for brainstorming or to gather feedback
in a useful way (compare https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech which is
lately serving this purpose, to my surprise I have to say, thanks to the
effort of some users).

Nemo