[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Jul 11 14:14:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
> The law just passed the third reading without any changes. It has to be now
> signed by the president and will be enforced in the present form on November
> 1, 2012.

So is this going to shut down Russian Wikipedia?  I still don't see
what the language has to do with anything.  The Russians don't have a
monopoly over the use of the Russian language (especially given that
there are countries other than Russia where Russian is widely spoken).

Maybe a better solution would be send all accesses from IPs in Russia
to a page describing how to use TOR.