[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Wed Jul 11 10:58:07 UTC 2012

On 11/07/12 09:57, Fred Bauder wrote:
> Try
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/10/russian-wikipedia-shut-down-protest?INTCMP=SRCH
>
> It is quite possible, as in China, political censorship is the actual
> purpose, and pornography, and whatever, is just the excuse.

Yes, but this has nothing to do with Putin. First, it doesn't seem that
this law is pushed personally by Putin. Second, Russian Wikipedians
would be against the law regardless of whether it is pushed by Putin or
not. Third, a anti-Putin pro-Western government could be expected to be
even worse in this regard.